Stay in touch with Orana Winter 2020
Chicken, Mushroom and Leek Pie
Serves: 4 – 6 people
Vegetables and herbs
1 medium leek, sliced
200 grams button mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Ground black pepper
¼ cup plain flour
1 teaspoon chicken stock powder (vegetarian option: swap for vegetable stock powder)
1 tablespoon seeded mustard
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
375 grams packet puff pastry, thawed
3 cups milk
1 tablespoon milk, extra
60 grams butter
1 egg yolk
3 cups cooked chicken (breast or thigh)
- Preheat oven 240°C.
- Clean and prepare leek by cutting off green top, slicing in half lengthways, holding under running water and opening leaves to wash away grit between layers.
- Wash and slice mushrooms, chop fresh parsley and slice garlic.
- In a large saucepan on low heat melt the butter and add the garlic to brown.
- Increase heat to medium and add mushrooms, stirring, until browned lightly.
- Add leek to cook, stirring until leek is soft.
- Stir in flour and stock powder. Cook and keep stirring for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in 3 cups of milk then mustard. Cook, stirring until mixture boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parsley, chicken, salt and pepper; leave to cool down.
- While waiting for the chicken mixture to cool down, prepare ovenproof dish by adding the extra virgin olive oil to the dish and brushing the oil all over it. Next, place the chicken mixture in the oiled ovenproof dish.
- Combine egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of milk. Brush the rim of the dish with a little of the egg yolk mixture. Place pastry over pie and trim edge with a sharp knife. Brush pastry top lightly with more egg yolk mixture.
- Place dish on an oven tray. Bake in very hot oven 240°C for 15 minutes;
Reduce heat to moderate 180°C and bake for a further 10 minutes or until browned.
Vegetarian alternative (do not include meat and add another 200 grams of mushrooms)
Suitable to freeeze. Not suitable to microwave.