The Australian Government subsidises a range of Aged Care Services in Australia through a variety of different programs.
Help at Home – Home Care Packages
Home Care Packages are a package of care and services to support people to stay living independently in their own home for as long as they can.
There are four levels of home care packages to help meet the different levels of care needs. It is expected that more people will be assessed as eligible for a lower level package, with a smaller number being assessed as needing higher level packages.
There are four levels of Home Care Packages available, depending on your needs.
- Home Care Level 1
Supports people with basic care needs
- Home Care Level 2
Supports people with low-level care needs
- Home Care Level 3
Supports people with intermediate care needs
- Home Care Level 4
Supports people with high care needs
Home Care Packages are tailored to the individual to provide security and continuity of daily routines, allowing you to remain living in your own home.
The types of services that can be accessed under a home care package may include personal care, laundry and domestic help, meal preparation and diet, transport assistance, medication management and light home & garden maintenance. For more information, click here.
Home Care Packages are available to seniors over 65 years of age who need:
- Ongoing services
- Multiple services, or one service at a high frequency
How to access services
To start receiving home care services through a Home Care Package, you will need to:
- Register with My Aged Care by calling 1800 200 422.
- You will be asked some basic questions over the phone to identify your needs and care arrangements.
- You will need your Medicare card.
- If you’re calling for someone else, they will need to give their consent.
- My Aged Care will arrange for someone from the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) to come to your home to assess your current care needs. They will determine if you are eligible for a home care package and which package-level best meets your care needs. Someone else can be present with you during this visit.
- Once eligibility is confirmed, they will then work with you to develop a support plan which addresses your needs and preferences.
- Orana Aged Care at Home can help you arrange an assessment by referring you to the ACAT team if you need help to do this.
Each level of the home care package provides a different funding value. This amount contributes to the total cost of your services and care delivery.
In most cases, it is anticipated that you will contribute to the cost of your care where your personal circumstances allow. These fees are set by the government and if you are experiencing financial hardship this can be taken into account. Fees are determined prior to your package commencing and you should advise the ACAT assessor of your circumstances when they visit.